High school and college students are often taught how to write a research paper. Thus it is essential to learn the art of writing a research paper. So what is a research paper in the first place?
A research paper is a formal composition about a careful or diligent search, it is a studious inquiry or examination and collection of information about a particular subject. In a simpler context, research paper is comprehensively written paper about a certain topic that we want to know more scientifically.
Before we dig deeper into our topic today, let us first know the purpose of writing a research paper. Why does it seem inevitable in our educational system?
Purposes of research paper writing
The following are the sole purpose of writing a research paper:
- To conduct an intensive study on a certain topic or problem
- To give critical inputs and scientific opinions about the topic.
- To give a whole new stand or perspective in related studies.
Basically, writing a research paper paved a way to address inquiries to conduct a deeper study about anything. It plays a vital role in the development of programs that provides value, comfort and overall improvement to human lives.
Now let’s get to the main point of this article…
Steps in writing a research paper
The following are the steps in writing a comprehensive research paper:
STEP ONE: Preparation
Before every rigorous event or activity, we must program ourselves to work. Here are some ways to prepare for the writing activity:
- This is a no-brainer, but keep a large ledger and multiple pens beside you.
- Get to know your topic inside-out and top to bottom. This is the only way that you can write it comprehensively and accurately. It’ll give you a boost of confidence to write if you are knowledgeable about your topic.
- Write a thesis statement. “The thesis statement is a sentence that summarizes the main point of your essay and previews your supporting points. The thesis statement is important because it guides your readers from the beginning of your essay by telling them the main idea and supporting points of your essay.” [Purdue OWL – Developing a Thesis]
Allot some time to write your thesis statement. This is the central ground with which your research paper will evolve. This is basically your imaginary guide that will help you achieve your goals in writing.
- Gather up your needed resource materials. You may use credible online resources such as Google Scholar, custom journals, etc. Remember that online resource materials are good as long as you are 100% sure that it’s from a legitimate and reliable site. You can also utilize newspapers, old research papers, encyclopedia and other tangible resources.
- Take note of every relevant detail in your research and organize them properly. Organization of relevant information helps you write your research paper with ease. It also helps you avoid over-inclusion (or less) of certain data that are relevant or irrelevant to the topic. When you put your topics and sub-topics in an outline, you will have a clear vision of what you’re going to write and how are you going to do it.
STEP TWO: Writing the Introduction
After all the prior preparation, you are now ready to write start writing. Let us start with your introduction. This part is where you somehow make an engagement with your readers. Make the most out of it and make it as interesting as possible for this will be your chance to tell your audience that your research paper is worthy of their time.
In the introductory part of your research paper, you’ll need to explain what the study is all about, it’s relevance/importance to the readers lives and your purpose of conducting a research to the topic as well. Lastly, state your thesis here.
STEP THREE: Organizing the Body
A brief explanation of how this part goes is it literally bears all other parts of the research paper except introduction, conclusion and abstract/summary in some cases. During this time, the outline you wrote beforehand and the notes you made will come in handy. You should include charts, tables, formulas and other necessary documentations especially if it will add value to the research paper itself.
STEP FOUR: Conclusion or Summary
For the finishing touches, end your research paper from where you started — your thesis statement. Briefly summarize the results of your study. Explain why your end result is such. But, if the results of your research study is inconclusive, explain why a further or related study about it must be conducted.
Tips on how to become a better research paper writer
Here are some takeaways, read on some writing tips to become a better research paper writer yourself.
These are some proven effective ways to train yourself to be an effective research paper writer:
– It may sound old but yes! “Practice indeed makes perfect”. If you practice a lot, your writing skills will be honed and so does your vocabulary. The more you write research papers, the more you get familiar with it which means you’ll get more acquainted with its writing technicalities. As time passed by, you’ll find writing research papers get easier as you are already familiar with it.
Read more often
– Reading is also an old practice yet proven effective in helping you get better in writing. When we read, the more we enhance our vocabulary so make it a hobby to visit your school or public libraries. Look for published research studies that are related or somewhat relevant to your study.
Learn about the different writing styles
– Research Papers are also books written by authors about a certain topic. But, what makes it different from regular books is that it is more technically written than an ordinary book. It is written in what we call “Expository” writing style.
Expository writing style is “long on facts and short on storytelling and literary flourishes. It can inform or instruct readers about a subject, but in its purest form, it’s not out to change anyone’s mind…Generally, this style shies away from bold opinions or value judgments, instead delivering straightforward information and data.” [Grammarly]
In this writing style, authors are asked to include scientific names, historical backgrounds, web links, citation of sources, charts and tables to highlight collected facts and/or data.
Read, reread and proofread
– As stated in the first item on our list, repetitive work is something that can help you improve in what you are doing. In this case, reading your draft several times will help you point out some areas of improvement whether on sentence construction, grammar usage, spelling and punctuation. You can edit, rewrite and revise your draft until you’re satisfied enough then you proofread it to once again check any superficial error that you might have committed during the writing process.
Seek professional guidance
– A master without a master to learn from, will forever stay as novice so keep your mentors close. They can be your colleagues, professors or the widely used research paper writing service —these are websites that can help you with your research paper online. They are highly equipped with all the necessary softwares and researching tool and are mainly managed by professional research paper writers. So if you ever find it difficult to write your research paper, these professional research paper writing services are at your own dispense. For this, we highly recommend Cheapest Essay among other writing services. Follow through this link to get up to 25% discount on your first order when you decide to ask assistance from professional writers to accomplish your research paper.
If you liked this article, feel free to enjoy more of our amazing articles from our blog site! Tell us what you think, give us a comment below.